General Surgery ARCP Guidance
The trainee's learning portfolio provides the evidence of progress. It is a trainee’s responsibility to ensure that the documentary evidence is uploaded by the published submission date.
The panel will review your documentation online prior to the ARCP. You are required to upload the following documentation to your ISCP by the published submission date:
- ISCP portfolio is current and up to date for your current stage of training.
- An up to date curriculum vitae.
- Evidence of audit, courses, exams, conferences/meetings, presentations, publications, research, teaching etc….
- You must ensure that your e-logbook is visible and up to date within ISCP.
- Training reports must be completed, by your Assigned Educational Supervisor and by ALL your Clinical Supervisors, on ISCP. Clinical Supervisor reports should reflect both elective and emergency training. You should advise your Clinical Supervisors to specifically comment on the following domains with regard to your training: Knowledge; Clinical Skills; Operative Skills; Professional Behaviour and Leadership Skills.
The only paperwork you need to submit in advance is:
- A summary sheet of your portfolio activity since your last assessment (teaching, research etc.), which includes your three objectives for the next 12 months. This should be in a version printable on one page of A4 paper. The Excel spreadsheet is available to download on the www.swhst.org.uk website.
- Enhanced Form R for revalidation purposes.
- Wider Scope of Practice Form (if applicable).
Please submit the above documents electronically to the School Administrator by email or via fax (01752 676290). For those of you emailing your documents, please send them as PDF files, with each form as a separate document. Do not send them as JPEG files. Please retain all original documents within your portfolio which you can present on the day of your assessment. It is essential that the necessary documentation is returned to Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education by the published submission date. Failure to do this can result in the assessment not going ahead and the trainee being issued with an unsatisfactory outcome.
You will need to bring the following paperwork to your ARCP:
- Your paper portfolio neatly presented.
- Completed paper copies of your updated Enhanced Form R and Wider Scope of Practice form.
- Completed JCST CCT checklist for ST8 trainees attending their final ARCP. This can be found on the JCST website http://www.jcst.org/quality-assurance/documents/certification-guidelines/copy_of_certification-checklist-for-general-surgery-trainer
The review will chart your progress to date and will identify any specific training needs for the future. The results of the review will be recorded on the ARCP form, copies of which will be sent to you and the Royal College with the original being retained by Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education in your training record file. We advise that you share the information relating to your ARCP outcome with your Educational Supervisor to facilitate further Educational Supervision.
Please see the School Structure page for Head of School, Training Programme Director, College Tutor and School Management contact details.